Saturday 15 January 2011

6 Reservoirs

Had a walk around 6 of our reservoirs yesterday. Started at Lower Gorple, then Upper Gorpley, over to Widdop then to Lower, Middle and Upper Walshaw Dean.

The weather was fine with just a quick shower to cool me off and stop me thinking that Spring is not far away!

Upper Gorple res held no birds. Only the noise of the ubiquitous Red Grouse broke the silence on the moors as I made my way over to Widdop.

As I went down to the crossroads (cue song...) the sun came out, but the wind didn't cease. Off down the Pennine Bridleway to Widdop res.

Although I knew that Yorkshire Water had been working at Widdop res all last year and that the footpath over the dam wall had been closed, the sidn I saw stated that the car park was closed but didn't mention the footpath so I thought it was open. It wasn't! As I didn't fancy walking all the way back I made a detour round the wall, along the ridge then down and over the stream then up to the road to Gorple.

I had a picnic lunch of the sandwiches that Lin had made for me then set off to Walshaw Dean. There were 25 Mallards on the Lower res but nothing else apart from a Kestrel. Heading off past the Middle res the weather stayed fine.


As I got towards the end of Walshaw Dean Upper res this wall looked to be on its last legs but at least it was still standing. On reaching the farthest point away from the car, the rain came down. Sod's law, but it didn't last and as I approached the Upper res dam wall the sun broke though again.


An uneventful walk down along the Middle and Lower reservoirs gave me a chance to play with the camera and take shots of water running down the overflows:
I ended the walk by going down into Crimsworth Dean and at last a few birds were about. 6 Fieldfare and a Mistle Thrush singing, but it stopped and flew off making its rattle alarm call as I walked under the wire it had been sitting on.

No comments:

Post a Comment