Thursday 16 February 2012

Young Grey Seal on Hornsea Beach

As I was walking on the cliff tops this afternoon I saw an object in the water that looked like a seal. As I got nearer I could see that it was indeed a seal and a guy was quite close to it taking photos. I set off to walk down to the sea front and onto the beach to have a closer look.



Several people were bending down taking pictures of the seal as I walked along the beach but as I approached it was obviously nervy and didn't hang around very long before it ambled off into the surf and into the sea. This was the closest I have ever been to a wild seal - what a great experience!



I think it was a Grey Seal judging by the nostrils which form a V shape with a wide septum rather than being almost parallel or a W shape with a narrow septum on Common Seal.

No comments:

Post a Comment