Monday 17 February 2014

Bempton

It was a great, dry, bright day yesterday so we set off to Bempton Cliffs, my mate Robert G and I, to see what may turn up. Not much was the answer but it was brilliant to be out and about in the sun after so much miserable, grey and wet weather.

Robert had his Canon 400mm lens with him so I asked if I could borrow it for a while to get the feel of it as I'm after one myself.

The afternoon told me two important things about the lens - 1. it isn't too heavy to carry on a reasonably long walk and 2. getting birds into view and keeping them there to focus and shoot is more difficult with a 400mm lens than it is with a 250mm zoom due to the more restricted field of view. So it was a very useful exercise for me. I didn't take many photos but these were OK:

Gannets
Gannet
Filey Brigg
There were numerous adult Gannets, several Kittiwakes and a few Fulmars on the cliffs. The feeders had the usual Tree Sparrows and Greenfinches but there wasn't much else to be seen. Never the less it was a good visit and a hot chocolate at the visitor centre kept the chill at bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment