Sunday 6 January 2013

A Sunday morning walk

Another wonderful day - dry and sunny! Unbelieveable and what a great change for the better.

I walked onto the cliffs first, then on the Trans-Pennine Trail over to Wassand Estate and then back by the south side of Hornsea Mere. The weather was warm and dry when I set out about 8:30, then warm and sunny, then finally cool and dry when the mist settled at about 11:00. I was nearly home by thaat time though so no worries at all.

Turning up Southorpe Road from the TPT I saw a Great Spotted Woodpecker bounding past. I followed it through the bins until it settled at the top of a tree and began its search for food.

I'd just taken the bins from my eyes and 2 Treecreepers caught my attention in the shrubs by the side of the road.



Before I'd taken a step off down the road a small flock of finches flew past into the top of another tree about 50 yards down the road - 12 Yellowhammer and 3 Greenfinch. A single Goldfinch was in the hedgerow to my right as I moved on, relishing what else the morning would bring.

Plenty of Blackbirds and Robins all over the place but not a single Wren!? A Dunnock was calling and was quite bold as I stopped to take few photos -



Onto the Mere through the wet fields and mud, but I was disappointed as the Green Woodpecker I'd hoped to see was absent this morning. On the Mere the usual suspects were there in good numbers. Nice to see the Wigeons back. Numerous Mallard, Coot, Tufted Duck, Goldeneye, Gadwall, Wigeon, 2 Mute Swan and a single Moorhen together with Herring Gull, Black-headed Gull and Great Black-backed Gull.   All in all it was a good morning.

A lively 7 miles today.

No comments:

Post a Comment