Friday 8 February 2013

Bittern and Water Rails at Hornsea Mere

I walked over to the Mere this morning to see if the Water Rails were still showing. As I approached the entrance I scanned the flooded fields where Moorhens are usually to be seen and sure enough, there were a few Water Rails there as well. I had good clear views which was a nice change as these birds are usually seen in reed beds and are quite elusive - I've probably heard more Water Rails than I've seen over the years!

There were 7 in total today, along with 18 Moorhens.



Onto the Mere and I scanned the reedbeds for Bittern, luckily there was one just into the reeds. It was motionless for most of the time I was there so I didn't get really good views, and the photos I got were from over the other side of the water so even cropping doesn't really help - can you tell what it is yet?



The usual birds were also around, including a few Gadwall.


No comments:

Post a Comment