Sunday 2 June 2013

Hornsea today

Well it's been a while since I updated my blog but things have been hectic. The previous weekend was The Hebden Bridge Blues Festival so all my time and energy (and cash!) went into fully enjoying our third such festival - and it was brilliant, the best yet. In between I've still been out and about, but nothing to put on the blog that is any different to previous entries. Either that or things were going on that can't be shared on public media.

So. Back to this morning's jaunt across the Hornsea countryside. I set off at about 6:30 in bright sunshine, clear blue skies and a cool NE breeze. I walked south along the cliff tops listening to the Sedge Warblers, Linnets, Skylarks and Meadow Pipits singing.

Meadow Pipit
After watching the Sand Martins I cut inland after a mile or so and headed towards Rolston. Overhead a Kestrel was being moved along by a Lapwing, and then, just when it reckoned it was clear, a few Swallows came along and made sure it carried on its way.

In the hedgerows there were Whitethroat and the sound of a Robin, which turned out to be a young 'un:

juv Robin
The crops are growing well with the sun and rain and Swallows were busy catching insects over the green wheat fields.

I arrived at a small nature reserve that has sprung up called Pond Wood. It is in its infancy and trees aren't mature yet but it has promise. Willow Warblers and more Whitethroats were singing and a single Coal Tit flew through. I wasn't particularly pleased to find a trap baited with 2 live Magpies in order to attract Carrion Crows (according to the hand-written note on the top). I left the trap as I found it.
I continued through the fields, several of which had hares sunning themselves, and on through Hornsea Golf Club, where the Moorhens were loitering around the small pond there. I turned down the Trans-Pennine Trail towards Hornsea and heard a Cuckoo calling quite near by. Left down Southorpe Road towards Wassand estate and the Tree Sparrows were flitting about, one bird was feeding a hungry mouth:
A pair of Bullfinch, several Goldfinch and a few Chaffinch were in the trees before I heard the familiar sound of a Yellowhammer up ahead. I saw another 3 before the end of Southorpe Road.
Yellowhammer in full song
As the sun was behind the bird I had to over-expose the photo to get a half-decent image. Through Wassand and onto the Mere there were plenty of Green-veined Whites, Orange Tips and a pair of Small Copper butterflies to keep my attention while birds were relatively quiet.
Small Copper
Green-veined White
What is it with Orange Tips? They fly around, never settling for more than a second, as if in search of the perfect plant on which to feed or rest! I've never managed to get a decent photo of one yet.

At The Mere a Cuckoo flew right over my head and headed South; a Marsh Harrier was over the reeds and 4 Reed Buntings were singing in the reed bed along with a few Sedge Warblers. There were hundreds of Swifts and House Martins over the Mere, doing their level best to eat the glut of flies.

A brilliant morning. Really enjoyable, and all rounded off with a few Danish pastries and a cup of tea sitting on the verandah in the sun, which was still shining!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a grand day out.Did that Larsen trap have food,water and shelter for the captives ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Food and water provided but no shelter. The guy who tends the nature reserve every day says that the lack of Kestrels, Lapwings etc. is down to Carrion Crows driving them off. Well I saw a Lapwing driving off a Kestrel so maybe we need to catch the Lapwings!?!

    ReplyDelete