Sunday 5 August 2012

Sandwich Terns and Green Sandpipers

Heard a call I hadn't heard locally while walking on the cliffs this morning so went to investigate and found a few Mallards, 2 Moorhens and 2 Green Sandpipers on a small scrape. Although I'd approached as quietly as I could, the Mallards flushed and a Sand went with them, leaving a single Green Sand and the Moorhens. I tried to get a little closer but the Sand flushed and although I had good views as it flew off, the photos I managed weren't very good:




A couple of Whitethroat were still flitting around the hedgerows and a SEO was over the fields.

Having heard a few Terns off the beach I walked down to the rocks where I found 11 Common Terns and 2 Sandwich terns (1 juv) squabbling for perching places on the breakwater. The adult Sandwich Tern had a ring but I couldn't make out any details:







Also as I was leaving a possible Mediterranean Gull flew in to land among the terns but it didn't stay long enough for my poor id skills to pick it properly. Reviewing the pic later it looks like a Med Gull with the complete hood, but the bird was back-lit so will leave it as a possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment