Thursday 28 March 2013

Long walk in improving weather

As the weather was reasonable today (no snow for 3 days now so looking good) I decided to stretch my legs a little following a long lay off of about 5 weeks. Although there was still a lot of snow laying on the ground in drifts, all the roads and about 30% of the foot paths are passable without too much effort. However, me being me decided that a little off-piste would be interesting so I did get a bit of snow down the top of my boots, just to remind me that it isn't fully fledged Spring yet.

There were 3 Mistle Thrushes and just a single Little Owl at Mankinholes on my way through. I hope the other owl is OK as they are usually seen together.

A nice surprise was a Coot at Lee Dam, only my third record here at this site:
A few Long-tailed Tits were in the trees around the dam but nothing else was about, not even Mallards.

After a few miles of walking on the roads, off I went up onto the hills to see if anything had flown in over the past few weeks. The snow was deep in places but I wasn't the first to venture up here:


It will be good to see a little more green through the camera viewfinder and hopefully I will in the weeks to come.

These pools are usually full of frogs and frog spawn at this time of year, but not now:
A Raven was overhead, cronking away to make sure I was aware it was there, and I followed it through the bins over to some rocks where I got a better view of it:

An hour or so later and out of the deep snow I was lucky enough to see a Peregrine perched up:

No comments:

Post a Comment