Saturday 9 March 2013

On the beach


I took a walk along the beach this morning in the wind and rain. There wasn't a soul about other than me so I had the whole place to myself. The tide was on its way out and a few Herring Gulls, Great Black Backed Gulls, Black Headed Gulls and 3 Sanderling were on the tide line feeding.

Walking along I checked the cliffs for birds but nothing was showing, although I could hear a Skylark singing. Further along, the erosion over the winter had been particularly bad and the face where Sand Martins had been was totally washed away.  It brought to mind part of Jethro Tull's song Thick As A Brick -
And the sand-castle virtues are all washed away in
The tidal destruction
the moral melee
but with "Sand Martin's nest holes" substituted for "sand-castle virtues". It's strange what goes through your mind when your wandering along on your own! No doubt they will rebuild in the same way that House Martins rebuild when their nests fall down, after all coastal erosion is hardly a new phenomemon.

By the way we didn't manage to see the Water Pipit last Tuesday so I did have a double dip unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment