Sunday 17 March 2013

On the cliffs at Hornsea

Walked on the cliff tops this morning to clear away last night's over-indulgence from my head!

There were 5 Skylarks up and singing and they've been here for a couple of weeks now. A nice surprise was 3 Meadow Pipits, the first of the year here, 2 of which were parachuting and singing. There has been an influx of Mipits over the last couple of days so there should be more and more to be seen.

A Barn Owl was over the fields and a male Kestrel was eating freshly caught prey.

2 Oystercatchers on the short grass by cliff edge and 3 unidentified waders were flushed from the long grass. They were up and flying away into the wild blue yonder before I could get my bins on them and the view I had of their bills told me they weren't Snipe or Jack Snipe, they didn't call as they took off so I reckon they weren't Redshank either. I'll check back tomorrow morning and see if they're still about.

On the shallow scrape there were 7 Teal, 2 Moorhen, a Coot with nesting material in its bill and 4 Mallard.

No comments:

Post a Comment